Thursday, November 28, 2019

New Assignment - Mastering Mandarin

I am given an assignment today: mastering my Mandarin language both in spoken and written form. Okay, probably not writing with pen but in typing the characters with the PinYin.

It is very challenging for me honestly. Yes, I did learn a bit of Mandarin back in school, but I skipped the classes because I find it difficult to write (thank God I can write my own name, just not so nice but you still can read it), and running out there with my friends in the school field was far more attractive to me.

Growing up in a Chinese-speaking church helped me with the basic command of this "difficult" language, as I was taught to sing the songs and memorize the scriptures in Mandarin. I had to memorise the Chinese characters by saying or playing the song repeatedly till I can recognize them. My ex-colleague Rac was very amused with my background in languages, with her own words: "I went to Chinese school and prays in English, but you went to Malay school and prays in Mandarin". Well, there is a bit of regret in me for not able to read or write in my own language... and from now on I need to make the effort to officially make Mandarin as my next language I am fluent with, so wish me all the best =)

No comments:

Post a Comment